Created for expats living in Japan

Where Can Foreigners Ask for Advice on Living in Japan?

When living in an unfamiliar foreign country, you may feel anxious or have difficulties in your life. Where can foreigners living in Japan go for advice? We have compiled a list of places where you can easily ask for advice in English.

Please also refer to: Free Consultation in English for Foreign Residents in Japan, and English-Speaking Lawyers in Tokyo if you live in Tokyo.

Consultation in English on General Issues of Daily Life

If you have a problem in your daily life or do not know where to ask, these consultation centers can help you.

CLAIR (Council of Local Authorities for International Relations)

CLAIR connects foreigners living in Japan with specialists who can help them with issues that arise while living in Japan. They can provide advice and assistance in English on topics ranging from daily life to legal matters. There are lists from Hokkaido to Okinawa.

Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications

The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, "Kikumimi", provides advice in English about work, immigration, medical insurance, pensions, education, welfare, and any other issues that you may have. You can also ask for assistance when you are not sure where to ask for advice. Please check this brochure for details.


Yorisoi Hotline is a free advice service for anyone who need a help. They provide services in 10 different languages including English. You can chose from free telephone consultation, Facebook consultation and consultation by chat.

Employment advisory service in English

For telephone advice on working conditions and other matters in foreign languages. The service is available in 13 languages, including English.

Consultation Centers for Foreigners in Municipalities

Most municipalities also have consultation centers for foreign residents, so please contact the municipal office where you reside for more information.