Created for expats living in Japan

Things You Should Know about Status of Residence (Visa) in Japan

This article is contributed by Mori Niitsu Administrative Legal Visa Office.

While living in Japan, I think there will be various changes in situations, such as changing jobs, getting married and having children. In such a case, if you don't make an appropriate decision regarding your status of residence and follow the appropriate procedures for that decision, there is a risk that you will lose the foundation of your life that you have made in Japan.

Whenever the situation changes, having someone who can give you an appropriate answer about your visa will be a very important insurance for your life in Japan. This time, we asked Immigration lawyer who has 18 years of experience in obtaining visas to answer frequently asked questions about visas, so please refer to them.

Japanese Visa Application Procedures

Q: When can I apply for visa renewal?

A: It is possible from 3 months before the expiration date of the period of stay.

Q: My period of stay is one month away, but if I do not receive permission during that time, will I be over stay in Japan?

A: As long as you apply, it will be automatically extended for 2 months from the expiration date of your period of stay. However, depending on the municipality, health insurance may expire, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible.

Q: How long does it take to review an application for a Certificate of Eligibility?

A: It varies depending on how crowded the Immigration Bureau is and the case, but currently it is about 3 to 4 months. In addition, we often receive inquiries, but it does not necessarily mean that the approval will be denied even if the examination takes a long time.

Leaving Japan Temporarily and Re-entry

Q: I would like to return to my country for about half a year for work, but do I need any procedures or permission to re-enter Japan?

A: If you have a valid passport and residence card, you can complete procedures at the airport (ED card ) for “special re-entry permission”. Please note that if your visa expires within one year, that day will be the deadline for "special re-entry permission".

Bringing Family to Japan and Giving Birth in Japan

Q: My parents are getting old, so I would like to invite them to Japan. Is there a way to do so?

A: Basically, the only visa that allows you to bring your parents to Japan is a short-term stay visa. However, as a special case, Designated Activities visa (such as a case where the person is 70 years old or older and has no dependents in the home country) or a Highly Skilled Professional visa (a person or spouse has a child under the age of 7 or is pregnant It is possible to bring your parents to Japan if you acquire a case such as a case where assistance is necessary in Japan.

Q: We gave birth to a child in Japan, what kind of procedures are necessary?

A: First, within 14 days after birth, it is necessary to register the birth at the city or ward office. After that, within 30 days after birth, it is necessary to apply for permission to acquire a status of residence at the Immigration Bureau.

If one of the parents is a "permanent resident", the child of that parent can acquire the status of residence of "permanent resident" upon birth in Japan. However, the requirements for conformity to national interests are required as a requirement for permanent residence permits, and if the supporter is a burden to the public, or if the supporter is not fulfilling public obligations, it may be judged that the requirements for conformity to national interests are not met. there is. In that case, you will get a status of residence as a “Spouse or Child of a Permanent Resident”.

Renewing a Work Visa / Working as a Student in Japan

Q: I changed jobs and my monthly income has decreased. Will I be unable to renew?

A: There is no problem if it is equal to or higher than the Japanese working at the new job.

Q: I am an international student and would like to work part-time. What are the restrictions?

A: If you have a student visa, you can work part-time for up to 28 hours a week. Please note that if you continue to work part-time beyond this limit, when you try to change or renew your visa after that, your status of residence will be judged to be unsatisfactory and you will not be permitted to do so.

Japan Permanent Resident Visa

Q: How long can I apply for permanent residence in Japan? Also, are there any points to note when applying?

A: Basically, it is necessary to have a certain number of years of continuous stay in Japan. The duration is basically 10 years, but 3 years for spouses of Japanese or permanent residents, 5 years for long-term residents, and 1 year for highly skilled professionals with 80 points or more. etc., depending on the type of visa currently held.

In addition, it is necessary to pay pension and social insurance continuously for two years without a single delay, and there are many people who cannot apply for this requirement, so be careful.

Refugee Status in Japan

Q: I am currently applying for refugee status, is there any visa I can get?

A: As a premise, it is better to think that the refugee application is accepted in Japan only in extremely limited cases, and basically it will not be recognized. If you apply for refugee status, you can stay in Japan while you apply. However, if you have applied for refugee status, for example, if you want to change your visa because you got a job, it will be quite difficult to apply for a change. Basically, you will have to return to your home country once and apply for a Certificate of Eligibility again.

If You Need a Professional Advice

This is the end of the interview, but if you have any other questions, please contact the immigration lawyer teacher who answered the interview this time from the link below (consultation is free).