Created for expats living in Japan

Free Legal Consultation in English for Foreign Residents in Japan

If you get into difficulty in Japan or have a legal situation, it will be difficult for foreigners who do not speak the language to resolve. In this article you can find list of consultation offices where you can consult in English. You can also seek advice from consultation groups about personal issues or concerns. Please contact them directly if you find one that meets your requirements.

Free Legal Consultation for Foreign Residents

For daily issues, please refer to "Where Can Foreigners Ask for Advice on Living in Japan?". If you are looking for English-Speaking Lawyers, free consultations in Tokyo, or would like to consult regarding work-related matters, please read "English-Speaking Lawyers in Tokyo".

1. Japan Legal Support Center (Hoterasu)

Japan Legal Support Center (Hoterasu) provides information in multiple languages You can inquire about: loans, divorce, labor, accidents, visas, natural disasters, and so on. They provide free information on the Japanese legal system and relevant organizations.

TEL: 0570-078377 (call rates will apply)

2. Yorisoi Hotline

Yorisoi Hotline is the subsidy project by Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

The available languages are: English, Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese, Nepali and Indonesian.

You can ask them any questions you have, for example, about your visa, nationality, family, work, discrimination, everyday living, domestic violence etc.

You can also chat with them on Messenger via their Facebook page.


3. Human Rights Bureau - Ministry of Justice

Human rights counseling services

4. Tokyo Regional Immigration Services Bureau

You can consult matters on living in Japan, residential status, other problems, troubles or worries.

5. Immigration Offices

Information Center

6. The Police Department for Foreign Residents

The Police Department of Tokyo has a special call center for foreign residents.
TEL: 03-3503-8484